The other parts of me

Monday, January 30, 2012

By my side

You know those times where you can't explain how you feel, but you know that you feel so grateful for those that you have in your life. I never quite understood what it meant when they said, "when one door closes, another one opens," but I found as of lately, that it is true. It no longer matters to me what lies behind me, who lies behind me, what decided to become an obstacle in my life, who hurt me. It's no longer my place to make those understand what they will never understand. It's no longer my place to fix what cannot be changed, or what doesn't want to be changed. As of lately, I've had new people come into my life, and I am just amazed at how they are such beautiful people, and how such different people can enter into my life and alter how I see the world. I love how these people appreciate me and never take me for granted, not once. They understand a part of me that I didn't quite see before. I've never been so enthused to get out and explore the world and all that it has to offer, but that's become one of my current life goals that I'm planning to achieve, little by little, each day.
I recently got my tattoo, and it means a lot more to me than I had planned. When I was being scratched a million times in a row by a little needle that was bleeding ink, forming burns into my skin, piercing wounds into my flesh, and with every drop of blood, I thought about all the times that i've been hurt, and I realized how much it did not hurt being cut by this needle. I realized that the needle symbolized everyone that has hurt me in life, that have put wounds into my skin, that have cut me--unintentionally, and for some, intentionally. I quickly began to get used to the pain, and i'd suppress it, then dispel of it outside of my body. At the end of it all, the needle became just a long piece of metal that no longer mattered, what mattered was the wound that it left, the eternal design on my flesh; which is essentially symbolic of the fact that my scars make me who I am, the people that left them--do not matter anymore, but the way they hurt me and what my scars taught me, lies forever engraved in me. My tattoo is my pride, my scars are my pride, and who I am today, is all because of how humble I have been, and the optimism I have sustained and developed from pain.
At the end of it all, after looking at my tattoo, I looked around and saw some of the most important people in my life, surrounding me, and that has taught me all the more.
So, indeed, "when one door closes, another one opens."


Thank you to all that have been there for me, who recognize who I truly am and all I have to offer, who have remained loyal to me, and yet, still remain by my side, today.
You know who you are, and I love you, all.



No comments:

Post a Comment